6 Facts About Scorpions


Types Of Scorpions A Brief Discussion

Scorpion is a fierce creature. It spends 95% of its life under the ground while spending the remaining 5% in chasing almost everything it can. If you are not a big fan of this stingy mortal, consider vacationing in Antarctica. This is the place where you will find no traces of the animal. However, for the ones who love this creepy crawlies, here are some fantastic facts worth knowing:

6 Facts About Scorpions
6 Facts About Scorpions

A Baby Scorpion Rides On Its Mother’s Back

In a procedure known as ovoviviparity, baby scorpions hatch out of eggs gestating within the body of the mother. In other words, they emerge out of their mother’s body in the form of fully-developed crawlies. Once they are outside, the minuscule newborns seem to be quite helpless. Thus they remain on the backs of their mothers for much-required protection and security. The babies stay atop their mother’s back till the time of their first molt. This generally happens in a week. Scorpions also make great parents. The mothers carry out the task of crushing small insects and feeding them to their brood in chunks. Nevertheless, they eat their progeny if food gets scarce.

There Are Over 1500 Varied Species Of Scorpions

The creepy little beings are spread across the world. There are many things that people even do not know. Amongst the many popular species, only twenty have been considered to be highly poisonous to human beings. You will find them in tropical regions and deserts where they can survive for more than nine years. However, there are even specimens with more than thirty years of life.

6 Facts About Scorpions
6 Facts About Scorpions

Scorpions Spend Winters In Masses Or Groups

Generally speaking, scorpions are solitary beings but not during the winter months. Between November and March, few species in this category get down to specific shelters. This goes special for the deadly bark scorpion found in North America. They live in masses or groups during these months. Around 40 scorpions can quickly hibernate side by side. Also, you will discover certain species with the tendency of completing freezing while hibernating. Once spring takes over, they start thawing out only with people tracking them here and there.

Scorpions Have A Long Life

Since scorpions are arthropods, many think they can live for only a few years. This is quite natural since insects generally live for a few weeks or months. Nevertheless, they are arthropods having a long life. In the wild, they live for more than ten years while in captivity they can live for over 25 years.

Very Few Are Dangerous To Human Beings

Of course, scorpions are dreaded by people because they can sting. However, there are some exceptions to keep in mind. These creatures are not very harmful to human beings. There are not many species in the world that can produce powerful venom.

Scorpions Glow Under Ultra Violet Beams

If you want to spot scorpions after daytime, you can do so by using UV glows. These invertebrates shine like small toys under black light. Also, they emit a weird bluish-green color.

Majority of the people know about scorpions inflicting painful stings, but they might hardly know the facts mentioned above.

Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter
Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter